The Office of the NSW Chief Scientist & Engineer is seeking Expressions of Interest to join its Independent Koala Expert Panel. The NSW Koala Strategy sets out the actions over five years towards achieving the long-term goal of doubling koala numbers in NSW by 2050.
The Independent Koala Expert Panel (the Expert Panel) commenced in 2018 to inform the development of the NSW Koala Strategy 2018-2021 (‘the Strategy’). The ongoing role of the Expert Panel is to provide scientific advice and expertise related to koala conservation measures in NSW, including to support implementation and the annual review of the Strategy, and other matters as requested.
The next phase of the Strategy sees the establishment of a new Expert Panel that will comprise the diverse areas of expertise required to review and support its delivery. Targeted consultations and whole-panel meetings will ensure the panel is accessible and flexible to the changing needs of the Strategy and ensure scientific expertise and advice is available across the Program's diverse implementation areas.
We are looking for people with knowledge and experience in as many of the following areas as possible:
- Koala ecology, behaviour and distribution
- Koala landscape and biodiversity conservation, with experience and/or knowledge in koala habitat restoration
- Land use planning and land management frameworks, and/or private land management for conservation
- Aboriginal perspectives, including traditional ecological knowledge
- Community engagement for conservation outcomes
- Koala threat and disease mitigation
- Koala rehabilitation and wildlife care, and koala emergency response
- Captive breeding translocation
- Monitoring (for example, monitoring koala populations, habitat, disease, genetic diversity and threats)
- Genetics and population dynamics.
To expand on the revised Panel, OCSE is undertaking recruitment in line with the Public Service Commission’s Appointment. The Terms of Reference are currently being finalised and will be available soon.
To apply, please complete the application form, attaching a cover page and CV (two-page limit), and send to email@example.com
Applications close: 5:00pm AEDST, Wednesday 31 January 2024
Any questions should also be directed to this email.