The Office of the NSW Chief Scientist & Engineer is seeking Expressions of Interest from NSW educational and cultural institutions to become the Inspiring Australia NSW host organisation for the next agreement period, from 2024-27.
The Inspiring Australia Strategy contributes to the Australian Government’s vision to engage all Australians with science.
Inspiring Australia science engagement activities connect with people nationwide to:
- build an awareness and appreciation of science
- celebrate the excitement of science and scientific discovery
- enhance the focus on capability and skills
- improve science communication skills.
Inspiring Australia sits within the Commonwealth Department of Industry, Science and Resources.
Inspiring Australia at the Commonwealth level works with representatives in each state and territory to promote and fund the presentation of science outreach events through National Science Week each August, as well as through a series of year-round events put on by regional science hubs, and through one-off sponsorships.
Inspiring Australia provides funding to each jurisdiction for the running of these events. The funding agreement is undertaken between the Commonwealth and the state or territory host organisation. The host organisation in NSW is nominated by the Office of the Chief Scientist & Engineer (OCSE).
OCSE provides funding of $200,000 (ex GST) for the Inspiring Australia NSW Manager to be employed at the host institution. This funding covers all salary expenses and institutional oncosts and is contingent on receipt of confirmation of the event funding agreement between the Commonwealth and NSW host institution.
Inspiring Australia NSW Manager
The NSW host institution and Inspiring Australia NSW Manager are tasked with the continued enhancement of community engagement with and awareness of science in NSW through the following activities:
- Promoting NSW-based and state-wide science and community activities aligned with the Inspiring Australia Strategy
- Supporting the development and implementation of a NSW science engagement and communication strategy/policy directed by NSW priorities and aligned with Inspiring Australia principles
- Supporting the development and maintenance of effective networks across public and private science engagement service providers across NSW
- Coordinating a year-round, state-wide science engagement program in NSW
- Supporting the evaluation, analysis and review of science engagement activity in NSW
- Providing leadership and ongoing advice and strategic support to the NSW Inspiring Australia and National Science Week Executive Coordinating Committee and its consultative groups, and
- Collaborating with the national network of Inspiring Australia program officers.
Expressions of Interest should be sent to:
Expressions of Interest close 5pm AEDST Tuesday 16 January 2024.