Note: There will be no further rounds of the Mission programs
Innovative technologies to better prepare for future bushfires
The NSW Bushfire Response R&D Mission (the Mission) is the first NSW R&D mission recommended by the Turning ideas into jobs: Accelerating research & development in NSW Action Plan.
The Action Plan recommends that the Mission should focus on improving planning, preparations for and responses to bushfires – aligning with recommendation five of the recent NSW Bushfire Inquiry.
The Mission has four pillars which support research and development, and promote new and emerging industries and technology to better prepare the state for future bushfires. These pillars and the companies and initiatives supported through them are listed below and in the Bushfire Response R&D Mission booklet available at this link:
Bushfire Response R&D Booklet
Bushfire Technology Pilots Program (BTPP)
- The BTPP supports innovative NSW businesses to test and refine their field ready technology for bushfire-related applications with end-user NSW government agencies.
- The program increases awareness of the innovation possibilities in bushfire management and operations through exposure to new technology
Bushfire Commercialisation Fund (BCF)
- The BCF provides funding to support bushfire technology companies to refine their product, and develop their market strategies to scale and attract significant private investment.
- The BCF specifically targets companies with bushfire technology products that are Technology Readiness Levels 4-7, commonly referred to the ‘Valley of Death’ developing businesses.
Bushfire STEM in Schools Program
- The Bushfire STEM in Schools Program aims to engage and inspire students in STEM-related fields of study. By supporting the development of bushfire-specific courses for the NSW Education curriculum (Kindergarten to Year 12), students can now learn about technologies used in bushfire management and response.
- This knowledge plays an important role in preparing young people to deal with disasters and emergencies.
Building a Bushfire R&D Ecosystem
- The Mission team is actively engaging with stakeholders to increase the awareness, connections and impact of NSW businesses and researchers in the bushfire sector.
If you would like to receive updates about activities or opportunities related to the Mission, please fill in the form below.